HELP! HOW DO I WORSHIP GOD IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH?
John 4:24 “God is a Spirit and they that worship him must worship Him in spirit and in truth”.
As believers, we’re called to worship God “in spirit and in truth”. Worship as pointed out in one of our articles (Click here to read Are You Hungry For God’s Glory? Try This), is more than mere songs and lifting up of hands. Worship is the act of offering up our life to God which in turn affects day-to-day activities.
True worship is not just about acknowledging His Almightiness but it entails you serving Him with your totality. For your to serve God in spirit and in truth, it means you are actively worshiping God in spirit and in truth.
What does it mean to worship God in spirit and in truth?
The overall lesson about worshipping the Lord in spirit and truth is that worship of God is not to be confined to a single geographical location or necessarily regulated by the temporary provisions of Old Testament law. With the coming of Christ, the separation between Jew and Gentile was no longer relevant, nor was the centrality of the temple in worship. With the coming of Christ, all of God’s children gained equal access to God through Him. Worship became a matter of the heart, not external actions, and directed by truth rather than ceremony.
True worship must be “in spirit,” that is, engaging the whole heart. Philpians3:3 says For we are the circumcision which worship God in spirit and rejoice in Christ Jesus and have no confidence in the flesh.
Romans 2:29 “But He is a Jew which is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit and not in letter….”
Apostle Paul was teaching that circumcision (cutting of the outer part) is not a criterion for the gentiles to experience salvation but circumcision of the heart. Therefore, it is not just about that which is religiously done outwardly but inwardly. Our salvation is a matter of the heart. We got born again in our spirit man and not by any religious act.
Therefore, if our salvation is associated with our spirit-man (literally our heart) then our service unto God should be from our heart. Romans 7:6 “But now we are delivered from the law that being dead wherein we were held that we should serve in newness of spirit and not in the oldness of the letter”
Worshiping God in spirit entails actively showing your love to God with all your totality.
In Deuteronomy 6:4, Moses sets down for the Israelite how they are to love their God: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.” Our worship of God is directed by our love for Him; as we love, so we worship. Because the idea of “might” in Hebrew indicates totality, Jesus expanded this expression to “mind” and “strength”. To worship God in spirit and truth necessarily involves loving Him with heart, soul, mind and strength.
Unless there’s a real passion for God, there is no worship in spirit.
At the same time, worship must be “in truth,” that is, properly informed. The first step in understanding how to worship is recognizing whom to worship. We worship the Father in spirit and in truth (John 4:23). When we worship in truth, we don’t worship empty philosophies that come from the world’s way of thinking. Instead, we focus on the message and the truth of Jesus Christ (whom is the truth).
Unless we have knowledge of the God we worship, there is no worship in truth. Both are necessary for satisfying and God-honoring worship.
When you try to worship God in spirit without truth leads to a shallow, non-informed, mislead and overly emotional experience that could be compared to the effect of drunkness (the way a drunkard behave). As soon as the emotion is over, when the fervor cools, so does the worship.
Truth without spirit can result in a dry, passionless encounter that can easily lead to a form of joyless activities.
The best combination of both aspects of worship results in a joyous appreciation of God informed by Scripture. The more we know about God, the more we appreciate Him. The more we appreciate, the deeper our worship. The deeper our worship, the more God is glorified.
How to serve in truth and in spirit?
- Fellowship with other believers: “Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you” (1 Corinthians 14:26).
The beauty of worship occurs in community with other like-minded believers. There is a depth and strength that comes when believers join together in worship. No matter you grace and anointing, the kingdom of God is not for lone rangers. It is a must to fellowship with others. We are admonished not to forsake the gathering of the brethren.
- Focus on Jesus: whatever you do and wherever you are always let your mind be true to Jesus. Remember Him before taking any action/decision. Let Him be your standard of doing things in the kingdom. Men may fail you. Even your pastor may disappoint you but when Jesus is your sole focus, you won’t lose your track on your journey to heaven.
- Make the bible your best companion: study the scripture. God’s word is the truth. When all other books informed you, the bible informed and transforms you. Make yourself a student of the bible not Sunday-Sunday medicine.
- Apply what you found in the scripture: the bible is the word of God and it is spirit and truth. If you really want to serve God in spirit and in truth then you must be addicted to the word of God and observe to do all that is written therein. Study is one aspect and it will only inform you but the application of what you found will transform your life.
- Consistent praying in the spirit: be a prayer warrior. Learn to pray in the spirit consistently. Atleast 1 hour per day speaking in tongues is needed to charge your spirit man. When you pray in the spirit, you can’t pray and worship amiss.
- Engage in personal evangelism: The truth is God want all souls to be saved and for you to really be in God’s golden book you must be an addicted soul winner. Start with your family members, your friends and those around you. How will you feel when you get to heaven and you see your brother or dad in heaven, God forbid? Tell them about Jesus and pray continously for their salvation till they are saved.
Thanks for reading this long; we believe this write up is helpful. Please feel free to comment below and share this write up to your friends and family. It can save a brother/sister.
©Oladimeji Olayinka Joseph